July 4th is around the corner, and I don’t know about you guys, but I can’t show up to a friend’s BBQ without contributing something to the table. I’m not much of a grillmaster (edit: I’m absolutely useless at the grill), so I prefer to bring the “fun” meal components instead — desserts, drinks, hors d’oeuvres… you name it.
This strawberry basil lemonade is the quintessential summer drink; I mean, can you think of any flavors that scream “summer” more than lemons, strawberries and basil? Luckily they taste fantastic together, and it’s the perfect drink for the entire family — spike it with a splash of vodka or rum for adults; dilute it with sparkling water for a lighter, low-cal taste; or simply serve it as is for the little kiddies who like their party drinks sweet 🙂
Strawberry Basil Lemonade
Ingredients for the syprup
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1lb strawberries; washed, hulled and sliced into twos or threes
- 10 large basil leaves
Ingredients for the lemonade
- 2 cups freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 8 cups cold water
- sliced strawberries, basil and/or lemon for garnish (optional)
- vodka, rum or sparkling water (optional)
Directions for the syrup
- In a medium saucepan, place water and sugar, put on high heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil.
- Turn heat down to a simmer. Add strawberries and basil and continue to simmer until the strawberries have fully softened and steeped (approx. 12mins)
- Take off heat, strain the mixture to remove the strawberry and basil chunks. Leave remaining syrup to cool.
Directions for the lemonade
- Pour the lemon juice, ice and water into a large pitcher.
- Add syrup and stir to combine. Continue to add syrup until it’s as sweet as you would like. If you have syrup leftover, store it in the fridge – it can keep for up to a week.
- Add garnish, vodka, rum and/or sparkling water as desired.
coco bassey https://cocobassey.com/